SPRINGFIELD'S SCULPTURES, Carl and Roberta Volkmann
MONUMENTS, AND PLAQUES email@example.com
Oak Ridge Cemetery
Charles Dresser was born on February 24, 1800, in Pomfret, Connecticut. He
graduated from Brown University in 1823 and was ordained into the Episcopal
priesthood in 1829. He married Louisa Walker Withers in 1832. The Dresser family
moved to Springfield in 1838 when Rev. Dresser became the rector of St. Paul’s
Episcopal Church. In 1839, they purchased a lot on the northeast corner of Eighth
and Jackson Streets in Springfield and erected a modest one and one-half story
On November 4, 1842, Rev. Dresser presided over the marriage of Abraham Lincoln
and Mary Todd in the presence of thirty family members and friends in the home of
Ninian W. Edwards and Elizabeth Todd Edwards, Mary’s brother-in-law and sister.
The Lincolns then moved into the Globe Tavern, a two story wooden structure in
Springfield, and they boarded there for $4.00 a week.
On January 16, 1844, Abraham Lincoln drew up a contract for deed to purchase the
house and lot at Eighth and Jackson from Rev. Dresser. The Lincolns completed the
transaction four months later when they gave the Dressers $1,200 in cash for the
purchase of the house.
In 1854, Rev. Dresser accepted a position as chaplain and professor of divinity at
Jubilee College in Peoria, Illinois. The Dressers moved back to Springfield in 1859,
and Rev. Dresser died on March 25, 1865. Dr. Thomas Withers Dresser, son of
Charles and Louisa Dresser, provided medical care for Mary Todd Lincoln until her
death on July 16, 1882.