SPRINGFIELD'S SCULPTURES, Carl and Roberta Volkmann
MONUMENTS, AND PLAQUES email@example.com
In 1861 thirty-nine year old Ulysses S. Grant was working in his father’s business in
Galena, Illinois. A graduate of West Point who had retired as an army officer 7 years
earlier, Grant traveled to Springfield, Illinois to seek another military position in the
new Union army. Camp Yates (named for Governor Richard Yates) on the west side
of Springfield was a mustering and training camp for new recruits and militias from
around the state.
Grant received his first commission in the Civil War as a commander in the new
army at Camp Yates. In the ten short weeks he spent at the Camp, Grant
demonstrated exceptional leadership as a recruiter and trainer of young men. Less
than a month after leaving Springfield, Grant was promoted to brigadier general by
Lincoln. Later Lincoln named him commander of the Union army.
To commemorate the camp’s significance, a marker was
placed at the corner of Douglas Avenue and Governor Street
in 1909. The elaborate granite stone complete with sundial
and large base deteriorated over the years, and in 1952 the
DAR, the Chicago Civil War Round Table, and the Illinois
State Historical Society obtained it. They determined it was
beyond repair. What remains of the 1909 monument still
stands in the garden of the home at 345 South Douglas
The original was replaced by a marker that
is now in the front yard of Dubois School at
120 South Lincoln Avenue.
Near the marker is a plaque affixed to the exterior wall of
Dubois School on July 4, 1911. The plaque reads: “Camp
Yates, 1861, The recruiting Camp of Illinois Regiments
Commanded as Follows: 7th, Col. John Cook; 8th, Col. R. J.
Oglesby; 9th, Col. E.A. Paine; 10th, Col. B. M. Prentis; 11th,
Col. W. H. L. Wallace; 12th, Col. John McArthur; 21st, Col. U.